About Us

Susan G Komen Provides Community Grants With Sponsorship From Companies Like Blue Ridge Cancer Care


The Virginia Blue Ridge Affiliate of Susan G. Komen is proud to announce it has contributed $111,000 to National Breast Cancer Research and $290,000 to fund six innovative local breast health programs. The Virginia Blue Ridge Affiliate is working diligently to guarantee that every woman in this area has access to breast health care and education. “To meet needs we have discovered right here in our community, this year’s grants specifically address funding for screening and diagnostic mammograms, outreach and breast health education programs, and treatment assistance for uninsured and underinsured women and men,” said Catherine Turner, Executive Director of the Affiliate. Since 2008, the Virginia Blue Ridge Affiliate of Susan G. Komen® has raised just over $2.4 Million for both local Breast Cancer programs and National Breast Cancer Research.
Area agencies designated to receive Komen grants from the Virginia Blue Ride Affiliate include Carilion Clinic Breast Care Center, Roanoke, VA ($75,424); Caring Hearts Free Clinic of Patrick County, Stuart, VA ($36,701); Centra’s Pearson Cancer Center’s Comprehensive Breast Program, Lynchburg, VA ($58,000); The Free Clinic of Danville, Danville, VA ($43,445); Martinsville-Henry County Coalition for Health and Wellness, Martinsville, VA ($29,480), and the Virginia Department of Health, Mount Rogers Health District, Marion, VA ($46,950).
In order to ensure we are funding noteworthy area programs that provide assistance to women who previously have been underserved, the Komen Virginia Blue Ridge Affiliate works closely with local health care professionals and community leaders. We conduct a comprehensive community needs assessment across our 31 city/county area. This community profile, a standard practice of all Komen Affiliates, is then used to establish a local grant application and review process consistent with Komen standards and mission.
Findings from the Komen Virginia Blue Ridge Affiliate 2015-2019 Community Profile reveal that access to and timely progression through the breast cancer continuum of care is believed to reduce breast cancer mortality rates and numbers of late-stage diagnoses. Receiving regular screening mammograms lowers an individual’s risk of dying from breast cancer; however, individuals often present with late-stage diagnoses and would have a greater chance of survival if the breast cancer was found early and treated.
With the support of our signature fundraiser, the Annual Virginia Blue Ridge Race for the Cure, the Affiliate can continue to provide medical care for these women and financially support community programs. This year’s race will be held on Saturday, April 25th. Board President, Janet Scheid, encourages the community to support the event. “Without the continued commitment of the community, our Affiliate would not be able to provide lifesaving breast health navigation, breast cancer screening, diagnostics, treatment and treatment support services for uninsured and underinsured women (and men) in need.” This year’s race expects over 2500 participants. Learn more about the race or sign up to participate at www.komenvablueridge.org.
About Susan G. Komen® and the Virginia Blue Ridge Affiliate.
The Virginia Blue Ridge Affiliate is part of the world’s largest and most progressive grassroots network fighting breast cancer along with a nationwide network of 115 other affiliates. 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the Affiliate stay in the Blue Ridge region. The remaining 25 percent funds national breast cancer research. For more information, call 540-400-8222 or visit www.komenvablueridge.org.
BRCC Oncology Liasion, Alan Repasky, and Radiation Oncologist, Dr. John Rogers, present a grant to one of the recipients at the Komen Circle of Hope Breakfast.